Thursday, July 28, 2011

Change of Plans

Well, if you haven't already learned via FB or suspected from my Woody Allen post, big change of plans:  I'm not going to Costa Rica!  Not now at least, and probably not for any length of time in the next year or so.  Why?  Because I'm fighting the urge to move constantly, and I'm going to sit my little butt down in DC for at least the next year. 

There were many reasons for making this change but here are a few of them:

- My cousin, Lisa, and I had a conversation when I was back in Cleveland for my parents' anniversary.  We were talking about life and work and travel.  Lisa was fortunate enough to finish college at a time when the US wasn't in the Second Great Depression.  I know this because she was able to work for a while, take off and travel for a few months, and then return to her job.  If only that could still happen!  But what she said that really struck me (and I don't even know if she intended it to) was that sometimes, you have to stay put in one place for a while, even if it is uncomfortable.

- I had a job interview!  Now, this job may not come through.  And if it does, who knows if it will be the right fit or my dream job.  BUT, the fact that I had the interview gave me renewed vigor towards this city.  I have put a lot of effort into establishing connections here in DC, and I don't want to leave before the miracle  happens so to speak.

- I'm applying to Americorps, and originally I thought both Costa Rica and Americorps would be compatible timing wise.  But, I learned that the direct service branch of Americorps (called State and National) typically takes volunteers only in the fall.  This is an opportunity I don't want to pass up.

- I've been doing a lot of journaling and meditation, and I'm trying to listen to my gut.  Yes, I feel silly having told everyone my grand plans for Costa Rica, and I have no doubt that it would have been an amazing experience.  But, my gut is telling me, to the best of my knowledge, that staying here is the right choice for now. 

I was talking to a friend yesterday who paid me a tremendous complement.  She commented on the honesty in this blog- and I am really grateful that she appreciated that.   Sometimes it can be humiliating to admit that I've changed my mind, AGAIN. My being honest means that I'll remain willing to share my sudden changes of heart- of which I'm sure there will be many.  I'm just doing my best to keep putting one foot in front of the other.

And just another nugget:  A friend sent me this video- its the 2005 commencement speech given by Steve Jobs at Stanford.  I found a lot of inspiration in this speech, and I think its worthy of being shared (you can find the text here).

And now, to keep working on the list, exercise more, fret less, and keep moving forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment