Thursday, July 14, 2011

350 Bites of Wonder

I still don't have a camera to use that takes great pictures.  I ordered one online that I was very excited about, but when I got home and opened it, I realized: hmmm, this camera sucks.  The one I already have is sooo much better.  Alas, I need to hunt down those batteries from Emily, buy some regular AAs, and get to using that old camera :)

In the meantime, I'm left with my phone.  Honestly, it does an ok job.  But just ok, in my humble opinion. 

Anyways, as I mentioned in an earlier post, the preparation of 350 appetizers is no small task.  I think I did about 4 hours of prep work on Saturday and then 6 hours of cooking on Sunday.  It all started with the shopping. 

I LOVE shopping in Cleveland.  Well, in particular, I loved shopping at Sun Plum Market in Willoughby (I also really like their impressive website).  This place is amazing.  We bought enough produce for all of my appetizers, and then some, food for 70 people and my family for the entire week... how much?  In DC, this would cost around $150.  At Sun Plum, $50.75.  I gasped.  Well, shit.  Cleveland has its upsides. 

Then, the chopping.  
I. chopped. for. hours.  Peppers, onions, olives, slicing bacon in half length wise... I even outsourced some of it to my dad (which I swore I wouldn't do).  

But it amounted to some wonderful appetizers- I didn't get pictures of them all.  But I made:

Beef and Potato Empanadas
Bacon-wrapped Prunes
Carmelized Onion, Gorgonzola and Walnut Pizza
Grilled Eggplant, Roasted Pepper, Green Olive and Provolone Pizza
Roasted Pepper and Goat Cheese Crostinis

yummmm city!


Beef and Potato Empanadas (adapted from this recipe)

Bacon-wrapped Prunes, super easy, no other ingredients!

Roasted Pepper and Goat Cheese Crostini, again, very simple

AMAZING: Caramelized Onion, Gorgonzola, and Walnut Pizza

No comments:

Post a Comment