Wednesday, July 13, 2011

We are all so ConNECted!

In an effort to think less about the future of my life, I came across this blog that has a lot of interesting articles about traveling... falling in love while traveling, getting sick while traveling, being CONNECTED while traveling...


There are no answers to this dilemma of connectedness, not that I see right now anyways. I am the proud owner of a smartphone- and it has made life easier in a lot of ways (I have a GPS, I can get in touch with any business I need to, I can listen to music for free).  But the smartphone, when combined with 9 hours a day in front of a computer, leads to utter over-stimulation- too much connection!  It's a shame that I'm on the internet so much at home, but it's even more of a shame most of us are glued to computers while traveling as well! 

Sometimes I wish I could shake the travelers around me and say, “Get off Facebook! You’re in Italy!” Technology is helpful but we need to learn to turn it off, especially when we are in a place we may never get a chance to come back to. We need to learn to the technology off. Then again, maybe I just need to learn to turn the technology off (Nomadic Matt's Travel Site).


This is not to say that I will be remove myself from the internet.  In fact, the author is a travel blogger, so just like the rest of us, he is a hypocrite.  BUT he and I both have the awareness of over-stimulation, over-connectedness, a preference to be talking to people in a virtual reality versus the ones right in front of your face.  I'm not going to analyze why that is or what I (or we) should do about it.  I'm just going to let it be. 


Just about a month from now, I'll be in Costa Rica.  I will still be connected.  But I will be without smartphone and my days will not be spent in front of a computer.  I am avoiding setting expectations, but needless to say, I am looking forward to a change of pace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment