Monday, February 7, 2011

Marvelous Mondays

- What do you think of avocados in cupcakes?  Check out a recipe here. (from Danielle)
Who doesn't love avocados?  And everyone loves Danielle!
looking funky

- I am almost entirely sure that you had no idea a sheep could run like this.

- I just learned about this TV show on Sundance Channel called Man Shops Globe.  I haven't watched it yet but I'm definitely psyched to.

- If you live in Columbus, you should definitely check out Old World New Home in the Short North.  The furniture is awesome and the owners are wonderful. Note: They do have a new address and are now right next to Northstar.

Oh how I loved being in Columbus this weekend.  Most of the time was spent just hanging out with three of my FAVORITE people: Danielle, Sam and Romain.

Here are some highlights:

Friday:
Three craft beers and two appetizers to share with the table at Bodega, total price: $17.50!!!  With more than 60 beers on tap, this place is AMAZING, and the crowds at 5pm are proof.  Their happy hour runs from 4-8pm with half off of all drafts (this means $2 for high quality beers such as Ommegang Abbey Ale and other delicious varieties).
           
                               I hope you can see in my face how much better it tastes at $2.50

You may think this bargain happy hour was the best possible part of the evening, but not at all!  When we arrived back at home, there was a SURPRISE PARTY IN MY HONOR! Absolutely fantastic and the most kind thing I can remember.  Danielle and Sam are two wonderful people and great friends and I don't think they even knew that I've always wanted a surprise party.  My closest friends in Columbus were all there and I had NO IDEA that it was happening, not even a hint!!

Saturday:
Danielle and I met up with Jihyun at Cafe Appropos!  I LOVE this cafe and spent soooo much time there as a student at Ohio State.  If you're a student now and you haven't been, GO.  And spend lots of time there.  A cafe and wine bar with craft beers on tap and food, this place is a one stop shop for just about anything: studying, drinking, eating, dating... If only I could move into the apartment that's for rent just upstairs (too bad I like DC).  But for those of you in DC who want cheaper rent, based on other rents in Columbus, you could probably live in this prime location for approximately $150/month (ok, maybe a little more, but much better than my $1000 rent).

Then we checked out some home decorating stores on High Street (and I talked to all the store owners forever, probably driving Danielle crazy).  You should really check them out though: Inside (where Concrete Jungle used to be) and Old World New Home.  Then we had amazing brunch/lunch at Northstar.  I LOVE the Cowboy breakfast with sausage: two eggs, a fresh buttermilk biscuit with cherry preserves, and local sausage patties.

For dinner, Sam, Danielle and I went to Pho Asian Noodle House in Upper Arlington.  Their brothy, huge pho soups are perfect (in taste and price).  It's also very enjoyable to eat delicious Vietnamese food in a redecorated former Taco Bell.  They even kept the drive-thru.

Sunday:
Sam happens to be an awesome organist and plays on Sundays at a church on campus.  So Danielle and I trekked accross the icy Ohio State campus to a 10:30 service.  Afterwards, we went to lunch at Aladdin's with Sam, Marvin and Romain.  Aladdin's, which apprently also has some locations near DC, has always been my go-to for Middle Eastern food (especially hummus).  And their chicken lentil-chili is so good.  But I tried the 'almond salad'... gross.  The Chocolate Bomb, amazing.

After lunch Danielle and I went to Wholly Craft which is a great handmade craft store that sells on a consignment basis for local and national artists.  My favorites include: Ohio apron with beer pocket, Ohio shaped wooden coasters, and crocheted nipples.

Our last stop before the airport was Jeni's. Even if you are absolutely sure that you've had the best ice cream you will ever have, you are WRONG.  Jeni's is THE BEST.  Even the most random flavors are delectable.  My favorite this time was Olive Oil and Sea-Salt Pepitas.  I always love Salty Caramel and Queen City Cayenne. (pictured: Banana Cream Parfait; Trio: Salty Caramel, Brambleberry Crisp, and Olive Oil with Sea-Salt Pepitas; the awesome Short North location)

What an excellent weekend...

1 comment: